Monday, June 27, 2011

Second Attempt at Vegetarianism

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." - Edgar Wallace

Once upon a time, I was a vegetarian. I lasted for about a month before my blood's iron levels went down and I had trouble sleeping. Now, I am trying it again, half a year later, with the hopes of gaining enough protein via other mediums (eggs, nuts, supplements). The thing is, not only did I feel bad with my closest friends "converting" and my allegedly not being able to, but my sister, also one, has shown me slaughterhouse footage. And it is horrifying what they do to living creatures before killing them. Makes me not want to eat even bacon, and that is saying something. I was never huge on poultry, but beef and pork are, in general, tasty; I think I could sacrifice, though. I've thought about owning chickens someday...we'll see.

Mind you, I'm not vegan - I don't think I could do that. But I learned on Sunday that one can make awesome veggie sandwiches using lettuce, tomato, provolone, and mayonnaise. It has milk and egg in it, but no meat. I suppose I've been "vegi" for about twenty-four hours now. Hopefully I'll last longer this time, maybe indefinitely.

Peace and love,
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment