Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Review: Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

My second book read for Printz (though I am told it already won our award - oh well) is Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. I thought it was really good, and definitely agree with the award. However, it was unclear how zombies first came to be. That was about the only flaw.

Years after First Night, the start of the zombie apocalypse, Benny Imura purchases a zombie card set with a rare non-zombie piece in it: the Lost Girl. He begins to wonder who she is, and finds his own hero, Charlie Matthias, after it. His half-brother Tom convinces him that Charlie is not a good person, and that sometimes humans are worse monsters than zoms. The half-brothers flee into the great Rot and Ruin, outside their fenced-in town, to pursue Charlie and his cronies as they hunt the Lost Girl to bring her to Gameland - a zom-human arena.

Very good book, which I'd give a B for that one imperfection. Otherwise it's great. I think this was my first zombie novel; not sure as to whether Pet Sematary counts.

Adios,
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment