Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Review: The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier

This is a book I read for Printz (my library's YA book club), and I must say, I loved it. The world it is set in is amazing, and some of the concepts are fascinating. It alternates chapters between two characters: Trei and his female cousin Araenѐ.

PLOT: After Trei loses his parents and sister in a disaster, he moves to the Floating Islands with Araenѐ and her parents, his aunt and uncle. Trei becomes a kajurai (a winged person), and Araenѐ, dressed as a boy due to sexism, attends the hidden school, where she learns magic. They both find themselves caught in a war between the Islands and the imperial nation of Tolounn, whence Trei came from. Trei finds himself divided between two homes, and Araenѐ is held back for being a girl. To find the outcome, read it.

I know I also gave Redwall an "A", but this book just seemed practically flawless to me. It had every element of awesome, and contained a beautiful story. If any of you like YA and/or high fantasy (meaning set in another world), I would check this book out of a library, or buy it. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment