Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Review: Redwall by Brian Jacques

This book was also my first audio book (at least, the first I finished). Written in the 80's by Brian Jacques, this book sparked an entire series that continued until the author's death in February. Rest in peace, Brian. We love you.

The book centers around the young mouse Matthias of Redwall Abbey, who finds himself in the middle of a fierce conflict between mice and rats, with various other woodland creatures on either side. He discovers an old poem that may help him against the vile rat Cluny the Scourge, and has to solve the poem's riddle while fending off sparrows, foxes, a terrible adder, etc.

I loved this book, and I think I'll have to give it an "A". Not every time does that happen, but I guess I started on a really positive note here. I loved the descriptions of food, setting, and everything else. Brian had some great writing skills. I thought at first it might be one of those books where all the villains die and all the good guys live, but he killed off a good number of each.
*No spoilers here; I'll put warnings if there are in future posts.

I believe there was a TV cartoon series about a decade ago; I'll have to watch it. I started to, and got distracted.

To thank (other than Brian Jacques) I have Emily R, without whom I might have waited a while longer before starting this wonderful book. Kudos to you!

Right, that is all!
-Lewis Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment