Monday, June 6, 2011

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

I thought I'd review this while it was fresh in my head, although I have yet to critique the first three. This is currently my favorite franchise, the first being the best, and as much as I enjoyed this one, I'd have made a few things clearer. Why would the British Navy let a former pirate join their ranks? Where did Blackbeard's powers come from? How could he have survived being beheaded but not stabbed? Even with these weaknesses, I had a lot of fun watching this film and have seen it twice already.

I thought Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides would be a prequel to the first three, but it takes place after 3. After losing the Black Pearl to Blackbeard, Barbossa and Captain Jack Sparrow team up to track down the mystical Fountain of Youth before Blackbeard or the Spanish get there first. In The Curse of the Black Pearl, there was the titular Pearl, inDead Man's Chest and At World's End there was the Flying Dutchman, and in this there wasQueen Anne's Revenge, which was a real ship just recently discovered off the coast of (I think) North Carolina. Blackbeard's ship. What I am saying is that there are several really cool ships in the franchise. Blackbeard is a great villain and I liked how they kept true to real history by having him light his beard on fire. Hans Zimmer, my favorite soundtrack musician, scored this movie quite well. I enjoyed his work on 2 and 3 as well, particularly with "The Kraken," "Davy Jones," "Hoist the Colours," And "I Don't Think Now is the Best Time."

If you like fantasy, mind-bending, swashbuckling adventure and hilarious witticisms, watch this movie. I personally don't usually see things in 3D, just because it usually is not in 3D, but says so to make extra money. 2D is fine, but I love this movie. I give it a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment