Sunday, August 7, 2011

Theatrebreak

"Who says that I am dead knows nought at all." - Brian Jacques, Redwall

"It is a hopeless endeavour to attract people to a theatre unless they can first be brought to believe that they will never get in." - Charles Dickens

"The adrenaline of a live performance is unlike anything in film or theatre. I can see why it's so addictive." - Gwyneth Paltrow

"The atmosphere of the theatre is my oxygen." - Placido Domingo

Last night I finally made it to some of my friends' rendition of Shakespeare's As You Like It...with Star Wars characters. It was rather amusing to listen to the wit of the clown, and inspiring to watch all of the sword fights, especially the one in the prologue where everyone was fighting with lightsabers. Epic! I found that rather inspiring, which was what the lady in charge said she had hoped. I'm glad they at least know me now at the Applause! theatre. I know a certain fellow who acts in it - very well, I might add - but was rather discouraging many months ago upon my asking about theatre life. He told me the very opposite of anything helpful, which was that I am too old and not serious about my acting since I have no experience.

Now, let's break that pompous statement into three parts. One: I'm too old. One of the above-quoted, Gwyneth Paltrow, was a few years older than I am now when she started. And she's in many movies now, and a damned good actress. I am not seeking Hollywood; it might be nice, but for now I am contented to act and sing on the stage and on local films. Maybe indies someday. My uncle is over fifty years of age and was in a scene from some show with Dan Aykroyd. He also sells cars to John Rhys-Davies. I say, it's never too late unless one is dead. And who says that I am dead knows nought at all! Two: I'm not serious about it. He says that about just about anyone not in Applause!, regardless of other factors. I've known some very good performers who never played with them. It's like saying those who aren't published by a certain house are not serious writers. I am more serious than ever now and I look forward to minoring in theatre and creative writing once I hit college in a few years or so. I plan to act until my bones rot - or burn. I've thought about cremation, but I try not to think of my own demise too often. It should be far away, despite my fascination with death. Three: The bloke claims I have no experience. Wrong again, sir. I rehearsed for a school play in fourth grade before being kicked out - don't remember why, but hey! - I was a kid, so that's that. And in fifth grade I played brave, brave Sir Robin from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and got thrown from the Bridge of Death. How awesome is that?

I will certainly audition if able for the next Applause! play, and the next and so on. I don't let people like that stop me because I'm serious about my acting. I have a camp at the Raleigh Little Theatre starting tomorrow and they seem pretty interesting so far. I plan to join my school's drama club come this school year. And I'll most likely make Applause! at some point. It will be grand to make my return to the stage at long last, and to stay there.

"Fin,"
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment