Sunday, August 28, 2011

Movie Review: Fright Night (2011)

I wasn't sure if I'd like this film, but I was impressed. It was actually quite funny and dark (a good combination anywhere). The premise is that a high-school boy becomes convinced that his next-door neighbor is a vampire - and he's right. I haven't seen the original, but my parents agreed that this one was better - not that the first was not good, but that this one was more so. And they had a cameo of the vampire actor from said original; I can't remember his first name, but he is, or was - I don't know with these Hollywood people - married to Susan Sarandon. Anyhow, David Tennant (Doctor Who, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) was also in this movie, which increased the awesome points, and the score was by Ramin Djawadi; I'm listening to it now. Spooky-but-fun Halloween-ish sound to it. Mind, it did have some vulgarity and bloodshed, so it's not for young children, but my soon-to-turn-thirteen sister Laura saw it with us and seemed OK.

It had one major plot flaw, which my father had to point out to me: Jerry the vampire (hahaha! JERRY!) ripped out an oil pipe from the Brewster house and set their home on fire through it, even though apparently that would not work in real life as he had severed it. Other than that I had no issue with it. The title does resemble an '80's B-movie (not in particular, it's just a B title. Fright Night? Come on), but don't judge a book by its cover...or a movie by its title. Unless you're in a rush or something. Then it is fine.

I suppose in one sense this is a B movie: I give it a B as a grade. It's not a gem in the art of film, but it is fun and enjoyable, which (as mentioned a few posts ago) increases awesome points as well. I also envied Tennant's armory. Someday, Lewis, someday you will have your own.

Final grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment