Saturday, September 10, 2011

On the Lack of Romantic Necessity

"If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?" - Lily Tomlin

"I understand. But I don't agree." - me

"Friendship is the finest balm for the pangs of despised love." - Jane Austen

A lot of the time at my book club we'll encounter the good-looking-guy character, who almost always ends up with the female protagonist. Not only is it terribly cliche, it's also unnecessary for reasons of its own.

I have nothing against non-paranormal romances, but they don't need to be in every single book out there. Sometimes people like to be single! I personally am not celibate, but neither do I need a romantic partner to go on with life. I have never had a very serious or long relationship, and I'm fine with that. It's like how goldfish do not need a filter for their tank or bowl, but one doesn't hurt either. To me, romantic dependence seems like using a partner as a crutch...and possibly an arm ornament. And that's not what intimacy ought to be. I feel sorry for those who say "S/he'll never get a date" because s/he does not need one. If one feels the need for a lover, then one probably has a psychological condition or state of mind.

Another reason I might potentially hesitate to become involved with another is that if it ends - and let's face it, knowing how these days are, it very well might - it will not do so peacefully. I'd rather keep a friend than temporarily have a lover and then have her dislike me forevermore. I love my friends, as I love all living things, but my love for my allies is very strong and intense. I would take a bullet for many of them - although I hope I don't need to. But that's what they mean to me.

Well then, that's one major reason I dislike Stephanie Meyer - not only did she tell a poor story, but said story taught young people negative lessons. And I wouldn't mind if there were more same-sex couples in media: there are some, but we need MORE!!

Righto! Done.

Love,
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment