Saturday, September 24, 2011

Book Review: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I read this book when I was eleven, so my memory may not be entirely clear. I greatly enjoyed it at the time, and I still remember it fondly. That's what they call a guilty pleasure. I won't go into the plot because while it was good, it was not original - it strongly resembled the story-line of Star Wars with some names stolen from Lord of the Rings and Beowulf. If you know Star Wars, picture it as epic fantasy and you've got this.

The magic system was pretty nice, and I like how the villain has not been shown (I'm waiting to read Book IV, the finale) - adds a nice sense of shadow and mystery, I think. I like the creatures too, both dragons and otherwise. I really do like this, but I also like cupcakes. That doesn't prevent me from eating veggies as well.

And as a self-appointed critic, I'm afraid I'd only give this three stars of five.

Final grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment