Monday, November 21, 2011

That's Mister Winter to You!

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." - Jesus Christ (I think)

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." - Old saying

"All animals are equal, however, some animals are more equal than others." - Animal Farm by George Orwell

"...but when you're stupid, there's nothing that can be done." - Eric Idle

"Call me Ahab." - Moby-Dick by Herman Melville, which I need to read

---

Hey guys! It's time to talk about respect. You may call me Lewis or whatever; the title was coined via sarcasm. Where did this whole name-address thing come in? I always intend to have people address me casually. I mean, really. Say I meet President Obama (which would be pretty cool; he's a good man). Realistically I would call him Mr. President, Sir, etc. But in my ideal world (one I highly doubt will ever fully bear fruit) Barack and I would be equals, at least on a human level and on a verbal. I cannot fathom why first names are so bad! I'm not calling anyone a moron. Even my own parents have been zombified by this restriction. They are family! Take the famil root and insert it to create the term familiar. Atticus Finch comes to mind here. Brilliant man; we need more people like that in the real world. I understand that teachers are most likely not allowed to become familiar with students. But neighbors and "friends" who insist on being Mister-Missus-Whatblah instead of simple names? It baffles me on both the basic and deep levels. Where did this start? Why? When? How? Why??

I chuckle at those who think they are my superiors. Forsooth, they might have more life experience and perhaps a few college degrees they may or may not have earned properly, but does that make them humanly better than we "minors"? Not only is it arrogant, it's also insulting. I do not take offense - I only scoff at their ignorance - but I would not blame a child for becoming annoyed at such preposterous statements. Age itself does not elevate one over others. All people are people, and while moral codes do apply in my view to determine true scrupulous mettle, everyone is equal in one way or another. I have literally, honest-to-the-gods been told by one adult that he was my superior, and by another that she was smarter than I. Very unprofessional in both cases. Not that I'm particularly ruffled: sometimes it is best just to not interact with idiotic people, but to either avoid them or to watch them fumble about in a metaphorical fish bowl. As I say, pride is the sage's ascension and the fool's downfall. I have no net to hold when they fall.

And I regret naught.

Good-day!
- Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment