Monday, November 21, 2011

My Death?

"Who says that I am dead knows naught at all." - Martin the Warrior (from the introduction of Brian Jacques' classic novel Redwall)

"Strike me down now and I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine." - Obi-wan Kenobi (paraphrase by memory)

"Do you fear death?" - Davy Jones

"Only I can live forever." - Voldemort

"I'll be back." - The Terminator

---

I don't expect to live forever. A nice, long, adventurous life is ideal for me. But sometimes I consider dying - not literally, don't worry - but dying in the sense of rebirth from my old self. Phoenixes come to mind. I don't intend to have a doppelganger or what-what, but an alter ego would be interesting. I suppose I am Winter here, but just the thought itself struck me about a half-hour ago: the death of my current self and the rise of a new me. How does it work in theory? No definite answers, I am afraid, but I fancy it would be something of a resolution - perhaps one similar to those made on New Year's Eve? Plots to do better, to be better? I intend to better myself, seeing as I have not done as much as I could have with my life (not whining, only acknowledging) and I fully mean to step up my game as I ascend to a greater status.

If one considers the thought, we are all dying. So is our world, even as it grows, but that's a different story. What I am saying is that each breath you take brings you closer to your inevitable demise. I may sound dark or cynical to some, but this is only the truth! Who wants to live for eternity and watch loved ones perish and crumble to dust, and if everyone is perpetual, the earth would no longer fit us all, considering the amount of infants born every moment. Bloody selfish humans "continuing lines" at the expense of the world.... Anyway, I'm glad we're all doomed, and I look forward to living my life instead of watching those of others. I suppose I already am, but I sometimes cannot wait to be a free man, writing for a living and scouting the globe. Even if am shot in Egypt, fall off of the Black Mountains of Germany, drown in the Amazon, or freeze to death observing polar bears (soon to be a rarity due to the bastards in charge of things), or if a Sumatran tiger rips out my throat and innards, I'd prefer it to staying in the States and dying naturally without having done anything.

Would you not agree?

To Death and the life before it!
- Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment