Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thoughts on the Hunger Games Movie Rumors

So far as I know, they are truly making it now and it is due in March of 2012. Someone I know said that March is a bad sign for something of this magnitude (the books are huge nowadays, if you didn't know), and I asked why. He proceeded to explain to me that movies aimed at minors tend to come out in the summer or late spring, while adult movies intending to score with critics tend to come out from November to January. Other areas are left for movies which don't expect to do well, or at least not to be Oscar winners. This concerns me. I try not to go to a movie these days unless I think it will be good, though I do sometimes see a film more than once if it's that enjoyable.

I've read the Hunger Games books, and I have my expectations. I was quite disappointed in the Eragon movie, although some bits in it were OK. But they butchered Paolini's novel and demolished chances for a sequel by killing off the wrong characters too soon. I remember many people not liking the Golden Compass film, but it's been so long since I read or saw The Golden Compass. And I still haven't read The Amber Spyglass, or The Return of the King.... Need to stop starting these series and start finishing them. Olivia says that many series tend to worsen over time, and I could see that: Ranger's Apprentice is supposed to be an exception, and I know Harry Potter is. I also seem to remember liking the later Spiderwick books and all of the Hunger Games novels: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. But I'm not going to waste my time trying Robert Jordan, whose books appear to take forever to come to a close - and I've also heard as such.

So. The Hunger Games film. I like the burning mockingjay logo I saw on a website, and I hear Suzanne Collins (the books' author) will be writing the screenplay, but it doesn't seem too confident if they decide to put it out in March. Come on, Lionsgate, have some conviction! It has also come to my attention that there will possibly be four movies. There are three books. I understand with Harry Potter, what with the huge last installment, and the rumors of The Dark Tower movie in 2013 or so, hell, even Breaking Dawn - I'm not a Twilight fan, but with all fairness, the last book is big - but each Hunger Games volume is under 400 pages! They're great, great books, but they are not huge like the others mentioned. Three movies will do, say I. This could be just a rumor; I don't know.

I'm going to read a blog from a long-lost friend now, here, but maybe I'll post in a bit. We'll see.

Calins,
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment