Sunday, April 1, 2012

To Walk the Land Alone

"The world is my backyard." - Thomas O'Malley (O'Malley the Alley Cat), from Disney's The Aristocats

Lately I've been fretting about what must inevitably come soon: career choices. Or must it? Whenever I realize that while I know the English language very well, and plan to major in it, I hit a wall, so to speak, when it occurs to me that I might not be suited to public education. Apart from waking up insanely early each day and staying awake, I am not thrilled about public schools. Perhaps they are better in other counties, but I much prefer the idea of unschooling (see my previous post). Editing might be a nice job, but I do not want to get bogged down year-round by work and therefore stress. I am no simpleton, but I have an affinity for simplicity. Perhaps I'll freelance.

My aim is to travel the world, preferably alone but perhaps with very good friends. I have not decided yet whether or not I need a "base" - if it is practical enough I shan't; my non-materialistic nature tells me to be frugal, even with living and lodging. I ought to only keep clothes, hygienic stuff, a wallet, and a few other things:
  • Pencils, pens, charcoals, erasers, etc. in a pouch
  • A full-size journal for writing and a mini for ideas
  • A sketchbook
  • Enough reading material to last*
...and that's about it, really. I don't need a whole load of extra crap to accompany me.

*At least two or three thousand pages' worth of it per trip; hopefully that does not create a bulgy bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment